The Paoli Battlefield Historical Park & Paoli Memorial Grounds are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The 40-acre Park is owned by the Borough of Malvern and administered by the Paoli Battlefield Preservation Fund. The Paoli Memorial Association owns the adjoining gravesite, memorials and 23-acre parade grounds where volunteers trained for the 1812, Mexican and Civil Wars.
In 1817, a stone monument was erected on the burial mound of 53 American soldiers who lost their lives in the battle. It is the 2nd oldest war memorial in the United States. In 1877, a larger granite obelisk was erected on the 100th anniversary of the Battle. The canons flanking the gravesite were recovered a century after they were hidden from the British at nearby Chester County iron forges.
The Battle of Paoli site has been a gathering place to commemorate American veterans, drawing thousands to “Remembrance Day” on the September 20th anniversaries. After the Civil War, the annual celebration’s name and date was changed to coincide with the popular
Memorial Day. The Malvern Memorial Parade, started in 1868, is the oldest, continuously-held Memorial Parade in America!
The site has remained as farm fields and woods since the battle, making it our nation’s most pristine Revolutionary War battlefield. A shaded 3/4 mile trail takes visitors on a self-guided tour with interpretive panels telling the story of the Battle and its legacy. Sturdy, period-accurate, split rail and “snake” fences illustrate how these obstacles slowed down the Continental Soldiers.
Today, there are additional trails for walking and jogging in the wooded area and the Park has become a favorite for local events, walks, picnics, and other recreational use.