skip to Main Content

This monument was dedicated in 1877 (the 100 year anniversary of the battle) and  is made of granite. It is 22-1/2 feet high. These are the pictures of the four sides of the base of the monument and their inscriptions are shown here.

East Side of 1877 Monument

East Side of the 1877 Monument

East Side Inscriptions

Erected by citizens of
Chester and Delaware counties,
September 20, 1877, being
THE CENTENNIAL ANNIVERSARY
of the Paoli Massacre.
The other inscriptions
on this monument are copied from
the memorial stone
formerly standing here,
which was erected by
the Republican Artillerists,
and other citizens of
Chester County
September 20 1817

West Side of 1877 Monument

West Side of the 1877 Monument

West Side Inscriptions

Sacred
to the memory of
the Patriots
who on this spot
fell a sacrifice to
British barbarity
During the struggle for
AMERICAN INDEPENDENCE,
on the night of
the 20th September 1777

North Side of 1877 Monument

North Side of the 1877 Monument

North Side Inscriptions

The
Atrocious Massacre
which
this stone commemorates
was perpetrated
by British troops
under the
immediate command of
Major General Grey

South Side of 1877 Monument

South Side of the 1877 Monument

South Side Inscriptions

Here repose the remains
of fifty three
AMERICAN SOLDIERS
Who were the victims of
cold-blooded cruelty
in the well known
MASSACRE AT PAOLI
while under the command of
Genl. Anthony Wayne
an officer whose military conduct
bravery and humanity
were equally conspicuous throughout
THE REVOLUTIONARY WAR

Back To Top